Last updated: August 31, 2020
These blue sections summarize key points from this agreement. They are offered only as a non-binding, plain-language summary. You should read the actual text, to which you are deemed to consent by your use of Metopio.
1. Overview of the Metopio Services
Metopio Services allow you to create infographics, models, and reports (“Insights”) to visualize relationships between demographic, geographic, socio-economic, health, transportation, environmental and other data that is available to the public; provided to us by license or developed by us for use by Users of Metopio Services; provided by you; and/or to which other Customers may have granted you access. Metopio Services also allow you to explore the data at various geographic levels, including custom user-defined regions, and conduct analyses in various places on the Site.
2. Subscription Agreements
Your use of Metopio Services may be governed by specific access and pricing terms (“Subscription Agreements”) that you accept in addition to these Terms, depending on the subscription plan that you have selected. Copies of our Subscription Agreements are available upon request. In case of a conflict between the any applicable Subscription Agreement and these Terms, the Subscription Agreement will control.
Any Subscription Agreements you have with us apply additional terms, which may take precedence over these ones.
3. Use and Account Registration
These terms are a legal document, so you must have the capability to enter into them on your own behalf or on behalf of your organization.
Don’t share your account with others. If you are a team manager or owner, you are responsible for keeping your Metopio users up-to-date, and removing access for people who leave your organization.
Metopio does not have data about places outside the US and is not intended for use by non-US users.
4. Use and Access Rights
(a) Subject to these Terms, Metopio grants Customer a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable license to use and access the Metopio Services for Customer’s personal use or internal business purposes as expressly permitted in these Terms. Customer’s use and access to the Metopio Services are subject to any limitations set forth in any applicable Subscription Agreement.
(b) Metopio grants Customer a limited, non-exclusive, revocable license to use Insights created by Customer for Customer’s personal or professional use as expressly permitted by these Terms, subject to (i) any restrictions, regulations, licensing agreements or other terms applicable to any relevant Customer Provided Data (as defined below) provided by Customer; (ii) any Customer Provided Data License (or any other applicable restrictions, regulations, licensing agreements or other terms) applicable to any relevant Other User’s Data (as defined below) and (iii) these Terms.
You may use Metopio for any personal or internal business use. You may use Insights created on Metopio for any business use, including in published reports. However, you may not sub-license your access to Metopio (see following section).
- rent, lease, copy, transfer, resell, sublicense, time-share, or otherwise provide access to the Metopio Service to a third party (except Authorized Users or as permitted under an applicable Subscription Agreement);
- incorporate the Metopio Service (or any portion of such) or any Insight with, or use it with or to provide, any site, product, or service, other than as specifically permitted herein;
- publicly disseminate information regarding the performance of the Metopio Services;
- modify or create a derivative work of the Metopio Services or any portion of them;
- reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile, translate, or otherwise seek to obtain or derive the source code, underlying ideas, algorithms, or file formats, of the Metopio Services, except to the extent expressly permitted by applicable law and then only with advance notice to Metopio;
- break or circumvent any security measures, rate limits, or usage tracking (such as event tracking) of the Metopio Services, or configure the Metopio Services (or any component thereof) to avoid incurring fees or otherwise circumvent these Terms or any applicable Subscription Agreement;
- distribute any portion of the Metopio Services excepted as permitted herein;
- access the Metopio Services for the purpose of building a competitive product or service or copying its features or user interface;
- remove or obscure any proprietary or other notices contained in the Metopio Services, including, without limitation, reference, copyright or other legend material contained in any Insights created by you or any reports or output obtained from the Metopio Services;
- use or permit to be used the Metopio Services or any Insight created using them for any illegal or misleading purpose, in a manner that is harmful or offensive to other Users or groups of people or in any manner that is otherwise inconsistent with these Terms; and Metopio reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to remove any Insight or other content that we deem to be in violation of the foregoing;
- defame, harass, abuse, threaten, stalk or defraud users of Metopio Services, or collect, or attempt to collect, personal information about users or third parties without their consent;
- interfere with, damage, impair or disable the operation of Metopio Services or interfere with, damage or impair Metopio Provided Data, Customer Provided Data provided by you, or Other User’s Data, or other users’ use of them, by any means, including uploading or otherwise disseminating viruses, worms, spyware, adware or other malicious code;
- remove, circumvent, disable, damage or otherwise interfere with any security-related features of this Site or the Metopio Services, features that prevent or restrict the use or copying of any part of this Site or the Metopio Services (including Other User’s Data), or features that enforce limitations or restrictions on the use thereof;
- obtain or attempt to obtain any materials or information from the Site through any means not intentionally made available through Metopio Services;
- modify Metopio Services in any manner or form, or use modified versions of Metopio Services, including, without limitation, for the purpose of obtaining unauthorized access to Metopio Services;
- utilize framing techniques to enclose any trademark, logo, copyright or other Metopio Services without our express written consent; or use any meta tags or any other “hidden text” utilizing Metopio’s name or trademarks without our express written consent;
- link to Metopio in a misleading way, including to imply Metopio’s endorsement, and you will promptly remove any links that Metopio finds objectionable in its sole discretion; use any Metopio logos, graphics, or trademarks as part of the link without our express written consent;
- make unsolicited offers, advertisements, proposals, or send junk mail, commercial communications or spam to other users of Metopio Services. This includes, but is not limited to, unsolicited advertising, promotional materials or other solicitation material, bulk mailing of commercial advertising, chain mail, informational announcements, charity requests, and petitions for signatures;
- modify, adapt, translate, or create derivative works based upon Metopio Services or any part thereof, except and only to the extent included in Insights generated using Metopio Services or in connection with activities that are expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation;
- impersonate another person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- use any robot, spider, scraper, or other automated means to access Metopio Services for any purpose without our express written permission or bypass our robot exclusion headers or other measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to Metopio Services;
- use Metopio Services to produce any harmful, infringing or defective product; or
- interfere with, damage or impair Other User’s Data, Metopio Provided Data or other Users’ use of them.
Please don’t do any of these things.
5. Customer Provided Data, Metopio Provided Data and Other Users’ Data
Other Users shall only have access to your Customer Provided Data subject to, and to the extent of any license granted by you (a “Customer Provided Data License”). If you upload your Customer Provided Data for your use with Metopio Services and/or permit other Users to access and use your Customer Provided Data for use with the Metopio Services pursuant to a Customer Provided Data License, you represent and warrant to Metopio and such other Users that (i) you own, or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and authorize Metopio and, to the extent of a related Customer Provided Data License, other Users to use, your Customer Provided Date to enable inclusion and use thereof in connection with the Metopio Services in the manner contemplated by in these Terms and to grant the rights and license set forth in these Terms and such Customer Provided Data License; and (ii) Metopio’s, and, to the extent of a related Customer Provided Data License, any other Users’, exercise of the license rights set forth in these Terms and in such Customer Provided Data License, do not and will not: (a) infringe, violate, or misappropriate any third-party right, including any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, moral right, privacy right, right of publicity, or any other intellectual property or proprietary right; (b) slander, defame, libel, or invade the right of privacy, publicity or other property rights of any other person; or (c) violate any applicable law or regulation.
You expressly acknowledge that (a) other Users may have access to (i) the same Metopio Provided Data, (ii) the same Customer Provided Data or (iii) the same or similar data as contained in your Customer Provided Data (by virtue of membership in trade groups, licenses, or otherwise); and (b) as a result such other Users may create Insights that are identical or similar to those created by you. Your rights in such Insights are limited as set forth in Section 4.1 and are not exclusive.
Data that you upload to Metopio, through our self-service tool or via our staff, remain yours. You grant us a license to use and display this data to you and to others, to the extent that you ask us to (for instance, by setting an Insight to “Publicly available with the URL”).
When you upload data to Metopio, you attest that you own or have the necessary permissions to upload that data. If the data do not belong to you, you must inform us so we can properly ascertain their ownership and/or accessibility. This applies whether or not the data are ever made public outside your team.
Our Curated Data is made available to you subject to these terms, and belongs to us (or to the cited data sources).
You may come across data uploaded by other users, if it was made public or available to you. These data are also subject to these terms.
We retain all rights to Metopio’s technology. This is a software-as-a-service, meaning you are purchasing time- and feature-limited access and not a copy of the software.
When you send us feedback, you grant us a license to use and aggregate that feedback. (It won’t ever be publicly attributed back to you.)
6. Privacy & Security
7. Agreements and Acknowledgements
Again, data that you upload or send to us must be yours or must not violate third-party copyrights or other laws.
We do not guarantee that the data and insights presented on Metopio are free of error.
Correlation is not causation, and you should consult other sources before making any decisions.
We provide external links on Metopio, such as to the original source of datasets, but you should open these at your own risk.
8. Confidentiality of your Customer Provided Data
We will not disclose your data without your express consent. One exception is disclosure necessary to provide our services to you, to vendors or contractors who have a need-to-know and have confidentiality agreements with us.
We may disclose your data as required by law or a court order.
10. Limitation of Liability
We make no guarantees about Metopio’s services: what you see is what you get.
Nothing in life is guaranteed, including access to Metopio.
You will not hold Metopio or its operators liable for anything that goes wrong from your use of the Site.
11. Digital Millennium Copyright Act Compliance
If you are a copyright owner or an agent thereof, and believe that any Insight, Metopio Provided Data or Customer Provided Data infringes upon your copyrights, you may submit a notification pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) by providing our Copyright Agent with the following information in writing (see 17 U.S.C § 512(c)(3) for further detail):
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works on the Metopio Site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works from the Site;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit Metopio to locate the material;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit Metopio to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted;
- A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Metopio’s designated Copyright Agent to receive notifications of claimed infringement is:
Attn: Will Snyder
328 S. Jefferson St., Ste. 540
Chicago, IL 60661
If any content on Metopio appears to violate your copyrights, including content by other users, please submit a notification to the contact information below with this information.
12. Miscellaneous Provisions
Occasionally we must notify you of changes, including changes to these Terms. We do so by emailing or mailing you, or by posting a notice on this site.
We are based in Illinois, and any dispute you have with us will be adjudicated in Illinois.
If any part of these terms is deemed invalid, the rest still apply.
You may not assign your rights or obligations under these terms without our consent. Other than in connection with a merger or acquisition, we may not assign our rights or obligations under these terms without your consent.
These terms can change without warning, although we will attempt to inform you of any major changes. Continuing to use the site constitutes acceptance of these terms.
This blue text is only a summary and has no legal validity whatsoever. You should read the full text.
Metopio is committed to respecting your online privacy, and we recognize and appreciate your need for appropriate protection and management of any personally identifiable information (“Personal Information”) that you share with us through the Website. Personal Information means any information that identifies an individual personally, including, but not limited to, a first and last name, a job title and organization, a home or other physical address, and an email address or other contact information, whether at work or at home.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR): Metopio is not aimed at users based in the European Union or citizens of the EU. It contains data about places exclusively within the United States and no data about EU citizens. No servers or other resources are located in the EU.
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA): Metopio does not currently fit under the criteria for mandated compliance, but we follow many of the recommended practices within our capabilities.
These blue sections include key points from this agreement. They are offered only as a summary and have no legal validity by themselves. You should read the actual text for details.
Metopio has industry-standard security measures in place at the physical facilities housing the Website to help guard against the loss, misuse, or alteration of information that we have collected from you. All data is encrypted and backed up to protect against accidental loss or misuse. Our website is secured by an SSL certificate to encrypt your connection with us. Passwords are stored as salted SHA256 hashes. Payment information such as credit cards and billing addresses are not stored by the Website.
We make every effort to protect your information with the highest security measures.
What We Collect
As you use the Website, we collect and store information about what pages you visit. This information lets us customize your experience, provides auditing logs about data access, and improves our recommendation engine for you and other users. Other users are not able to know what pages you individually visit. With the below exceptions, this information is not shared with any other third parties like advertising networks or tracking tools.
Metopio uses some third-party services that may save cookies on your device to collect data about you and how you use the website. Please review your Cookie Preferences, where you may opt out of some of these services.
We collect data about how you use the website in order to customize and improve your experience.
We also collect and store data about you through cookies. You can customize your cookie preferences at any time.
Thank you for reading!